Its summer and jackfruit season. Recently had read a recipe which had raw jack fruit as the core ingredient for a kebab. Looked interesting. So tried to recreate it. Its a unique snack from Indore, India. The texture and aroma of this dish is just amazing and appetising!
Ingredients:|Preparation Time: 2 hrs|(Soaking time for chana dal)
- Raw jack fruit 300 gms(peeled and cut into cubes)
- Channa Dal 3 tbspn(soaked for 2 hours)
- Ginger 1 1/2 tspn, chopped
- Garlic 4-5 cloves
- Green chillies 3
- Coriander seeds 1 1/2 tspn
- Pepper corn 1/4 tspn
- Fennel seeds(saunf) 1 1/2 tspn
- Clove 3
- Cinnamon 1 1/2 stick
- Black cardamom 2
- Onion 1 (big, chopped)
- Coriander leaves a handful, chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Rice flour/ bread crumbs to coat the patties before frying
- Oil/Ghee for shallow fry
- Ketchup/Green Chutney
Method:|Cooking Time: 20 mins|
Pressure cook the chana dal and jackfruit until one whistle, takes about 10 mins. Let it cool, meanwhile dry roast the spices, pepper, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, clove, cinnamon, black cardamom, and grind it along with ginger, garlic, onion.
Mash the cooked chana dal and jackfruit and mix it along with the ground paste, add salt and coriander leaves. Make patties out of the mixture, coat it with rice flour/ breadcrumbs and shallow fry it until dark brown and crisp and serve hot with green chutney or ketchup.
I hope you enjoy the taste:)
* Grease the knife before cutting the jackfruit to avoid the milk/gum of the fruit sticking on the knife. To clear the milk/gum from the knife, heat the knife on flame, the gum will melt, clear it with paper and then wash it.