Unbelievably this vegetable ,bitter gourd is turning out to be my favorite ,not only because its healthy but also i find it challenging to come out with a great tasting dish,keeping it s bitterness in mind and trying to balance all the other flavors along with it.
So i created one of these easy ones, i m sure even people who dont like to eat the gourd might like this ,as it wont taste as bitter once cooked!
Ingredients: |Preparation Time: 20 mins(including the marination time)|
- Bitter Gourd 500 gms (cut into rounds,deseeded)
- Red Chilli powder 2 tspns
- Turmeric powder 1 tspn
- Jaggery 3 tbspn(powdered, if using block ,soak it water to get about 3 tbspn of the paste)
- Salt 11/2 tspn(can adjust later ,while cooking ,to balance the taste)
- Pure Olive Oil 5 to 6 tbspn(be generous as it s a shallow fry and by the end it needs to be caramelize a bit)
Method: |Cooking Time: 15 mins|
Marinate the bitter gourd with salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and jaggery for 15 mins. It will reduce to be a bit softer in texture.
Heat the oil in a pan and add the bitter gourd into it, mix it well until it starts leaving out water and starts boiling a bit, let the flame be medium and dont cover it. Periodically, keep stirring. Once the gourd is cooked (approx. 10 to 12 mins), increase the flame and try to caramelize it as much as possible(dont burn in the process).
Put it off and serve it as a starter or along with rice.